Instrumental Music provides students at Westside Christian College with an opportunity to develop skills on a range of instruments and voice, as well as providing students with opportunities to play in a range of ensembles.
Instruments that are available for tuition at the College include:
- Piano & Keyboard (From Grade 1 upward)
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello (From Grade 2 upward)
From Grade 4 the following instruments are also available for students to learn:
- Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- Woodwind: Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone
- Guitar: Acoustic, Electric and Bass
- Drumkit & Percussion
For additional information please see the Instrumental Music Brochure.
To enrol in lessons please complete the Instrumental Music Enrolment Survey online via Schoolbox.
Our Primary Campus music ensembles include:
- Junior and Senior Primary Choirs
- Junior Band (exclusive program for select Grade 4 students only)
- Senior Primary String Ensemble (Grade 4-6 students on Violin, Viola and Cello only)
- Senior Primary Band (Grade 4-6 students on all Orchestral & Band instruments)
Our Secondary Campus music ensembles include:
- Symphonic Band (Grade 7-12 students all Orchestral & Band instruments)
- Funk, Jazz, Rock Band (FJR – auditions required for places on Voice, Guitar, Bass, Brass, Woodwind and Drumkit)
- Secondary String Ensemble (Grade 7-12 students on Violin, Viola, Cello)
- Flute Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Vocal Ensemble
All students are welcomed and encouraged to join an ensemble to further develop their musical skills. Please note that students are expected to be having lessons on their chosen instrument (unless they are of a Grade 5 A.M.E.B. standard or higher) in order to participate in ensembles – either through the college Instrumental Lesson program or privately, outside school.
Please stay tuned to Schoolbox and Assembly announcements regarding auditions, sign up meetings and first rehearsals for all Ensembles.
If you would like more information, please contact the Instrumental Music Co-ordinator, Mrs Walker: email@example.com
Instrumental Music Instructors
Violin & Viola – Mrs Kate Celovski
- Mrs Kate Celovski has completed her grades with the Australian Music Examinations board.
- She played as part of the Queensland Youth Symphony (2) for 4 years and was able to tour with the orchestra with various music festivals interstate.
- 20 years of teaching experience, preparing students for eisteddfod performances and A.M.E.B examinations.
Cello – Miss Felicity Mohr
- Miss Felicity Mohr holds a Bachelor of Music (Honours) from the University of Queensland and an Associate Diploma in Cello Performance (AMusA) from the A.M.E.B.
- Felicity has 5 years teaching experience, teaching Cello and Piano privately and at various music schools.
- She played as part of QLD Youth Symphony for 6 years and toured with them to Europe and China in 2017. Currently she performs professionally as a chamber musician with the Cadenza Chamber Players and as a solo Cellist as part of her electroacoustic cello project.
- She undertook a composition major at university with Dr Robert Davidson, and has a long-held passion for composing and arranging for chamber music settings, and a growing passion for composing via improvisation aided by effects pedals and sound design in Ableton.
Guitar (Acoustic, Electric and Bass) – Mr Aaron Nebauer
- Mr Aaron Nebauer studied a Bachelor of Music at the Queensland University of Technology, majoring in composition for film and television.
- Professional musician for a number of years with extensive performing, recording, teaching and film work.
Flute – Miss Greta Hunter
- Miss Greta Hunter holds a Bachelor of Music (Honours) majoring in Classical Flute Performance from the University of QLD.
- Extensive experience performing as a Flautist in Solo, Chamber and Orchestral settings.
- 10 years teaching experience, specialising in the Flute, Piccolo and Music Theory.
- Regularly prepares students for performances, A.M.E.B. Examinations, competitions and auditions.
- Specialises as a conductor working with both youth and community ensembles throughout Brisbane.
Reeds (Clarinet, Alto/Tenor/Baritone Saxophone) – Miss Jess Hall
- Miss Jess Hall received a Bachelor of Music in Flute Performance and a Graduate Certificate in Clarinet and Saxophone Performance at the Queensland Conservatorium.
- Has 5 years of experience teaching woodwind instruments, and has prepared students for A.M.E.B. Examinations and other auditions and performances.
- Professional member of the Queensland Music Teachers Association
- Performs professionally with Cadenza Chamber Players, and other local Brisbane groups, in a range of genres from classical to musical theatre.
Secondary Brass (Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba) – Mr Sean Burke
- Mr Sean Burke completed his Bachelor of Music (Honours) majoring in Classical Tuba and Euphonium Performance from the University of Queensland before commencing study at the Australian National Academy of Music.
- Has performed extensively in professional contexts across Australia, Aotearoa|New Zealand and across Europe.
- Sean has been teaching since 2012 across many different instruments and skill levels
- Is active in many different community music endeavours, and is well versed in multiple different styles and genres of performance.
Primary Brass (Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba) – Miss Amelia Lane
- Miss Amelia Lane completed her Bachelor of Music Studies majoring in Classical Tuba from the University of Queensland.
- Has been teaching privately and in schools for over 5 years, and has prepared students for A.M.E.B examinations, performances and auditions.
- Is heavily involved in community music around Brisbane.
Drum Kit and Percussion – Mr Hik Sugimoto
- Mr Hik Sugimoto received his Bachelor of Music (Performance), majoring on Drumkit from the Queensland University of Technology.
- He has been teaching Drumkit and Percussion since 2007 and has held clinics/workshops around regional Australia and India.
- He works as a freelance drummer with international/national touring experience (Asia, South East Asia, USA).
- Has shared the stage with: Joe Satriani, The Church, The Cat Empire, The Whitlams, Ball Park Music, Megan Washington, Stiff Little Fingers, Ruts DC and many others.
- Other notable performances include: 2020 Australian of the Year Awards, Finalist 2011 Australia’s Got Talent, 2013 TEDx Brisbane, Q150 Celebration, Various Music Festivals.
Piano and Keyboard – Mrs Sarah Nguyen
- Mrs Sarah Nguyen received her Bachelor of Music (Honours – Piano), Master of Philosophy (Piano Performance) and Doctor of Philosophy (Piano Performance) from the University of Queensland.
- Her PhD specialised in the performance of French Harpsichord repertoire on the Piano
- Regularly accompanies Vocalists and Instrumentalists for Concerts and Exams and is a Professional Member of the Accompanists’ Guild.
- 11 years teaching experience, specialising in Piano and Music Theory. Prepares students for exams, auditions and performances.
Voice – Mrs Lucia Medeiros Hodge
- Mrs. Lucia Medeiros Hodge received her Bachelor of Music in Jazz Voice and her Graduate Diploma in Vocal Pedagogy from the QLD Conservatorium of Music.
- Teaches contemporary styles (Jazz, Pop, Rock, Musical Theatre) and is a Latin Jazz specialist.
- Has taught in a number of music schools as well as in her private studio.
- Professional singer, performing regularly since 2011 with her Brazilian Jazz Band (Coisa Linda). Experienced Jazz Performer, having sung with various Jazz Ensembles.